Sunday, November 2, 2014

Help! I have fallen off of the no sugar wagon and I can't get back on!

I'm not sure when exactly I veered off course, but somewhere in the last couple of weeks I started making exceptions and before I knew it, I was on a tear. I blame the sourdough bread. I have learned that I simply cannot have it in the house, because I find it irresistible. Before I knew it, I was making my old favorite tuna melts, day after day. And that then led to giving in to some of the candy that was hanging around the house in anticipation of Halloween, such that by the 31st I was completely off the no-sugar wagon, so to speak. Anyone who doesn't think sugar is addictive should go off of it for a few months and then start eating just a bit and watch what happens.

I'm kind of depressed about it. Sigh. Because it was kind of brutal when I first went off sugar and refined carbs, and brutal again when I went low-carb. I'm not looking forward to going through those initial weeks again. But it has to be done. I definitely feel worse, and I fear I've reversed some of the progress I've made in improving my health. I know I should start immediately. But... there are peanut butter cups in the house! Those little individually-wrapped ones, in fall foil colors! I can resist the other candies, no problem. But those little pots of peanut buttery scrumptiousness have me in their grips right now. I'm sure that I'm not the only one. Gah.

The good news is that I know I can get off the devil sugar again, and soon enough I won't even crave it. It was amazing to discover that it completely lost its appeal within just a few weeks. Same with the gluten and carbs. But getting off of them can be a bitch initially, I won't lie. I'll allow one or two nights more of the "treats" (not a great description for them, given what I know about the damage they do internally), and then I'll call it quits once more and get back to the project of working toward better health and well-being.