Saturday, May 16, 2009

Every Day Can Be Saturday for the Next 3 Months

Yes, that's right beyotches, the finals and papers are evaluated, the grades are submitted, and I am FREEEEEE for three whole months. Not that I won't work, but it will be on my time. Also on my dime, since we aren't paid in the summer, but who cares? We saved all year long, so we're set.

Around lunchtime today I found myself feeling a bit anxious, as Saturday was slipping away too quickly already. But then I remembered... I am in the time of the endless weekend, the perk that makes being generally underpaid (relative to the investment of time and money getting the Ph.D.) well worth it. This, my friends, is a big part of why we get into academia. It isn't the only reason, of course. I truly adore the teaching and research and writing and can't imagine doing anything else. And I'll be enjoying it even more now that I have the security of entering the tenure-track (and at a university that seems likely to weather the tough economy).

But I digress. The point is that my summer has begun, and that makes Kaza want to SQUEEE!!! That does mean that I'll have to come up with things to blog about. I gave the dusty old blog a bit of a cleaning and a new look. It's not exactly a makeover, but it was time for a change and I've wanted to go 3-column for ages. Let me know what you think.

As for me, I spent the last two hours playing with the kidlet: Barbies, Dora dolls, beauty parlor, and "big sister/little sister" (that's a new one she came up with today). She had a blast and was delighted that mommy was finished with her work and could play with her for so long. I'm completely exhausted and I have a headache from that high-pitched voice she uses for every doll (what is up with that?). I have earned my martini, my friends, and I'm going to go shake one up rightthisminute.

2 comments:

catnip said...

Yay for unending weekends and time for Kaza to blog! Glad you'll be around more, if only for the summer. :)

Kat said...

Brat!! I still have two weeks to go :(