Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry, Merry!

It is Christmas Eve, my favorite holiday. I've always loved it best, even as a child. The Little One is VERY excited, but amazingly calm as well. She has cleaned her room in anticipation of the new toys Santa will bring, and is now watching "Santa Claus is Coming to Town." Santa's biggest elf in this house is off to get a few more things. He does this every year so far: gets irritated with me for buying too much but then decides at the last minute that we don't have enough and goes out to buy more!

We're going out to dinner tonight to make things easy (woo-hoo!), and then we'll get the Little One off to bed and the work begins. I don't think we'll be up too late tonight. Not too much to do. At least I hope not! I wonder if we'll be up before dawn again this year, or if we'll be able to stall her until it's light out. Though last year I think it was our excitement that led to such an early start!

It's just the three of us, which is nice in many ways, but this year I'm missing family more than usual. I'm glad that she can be the center of it all, but I do wish that at least one set of the grandparents could be here to join in on the fun. We'll be visiting one side of the family next week and having a second celebration, so that will have to suffice. The other side is scattered across the country, no one traveling this year.

I feel like I should be baking or something. Except that I really, really, really don't want to. So I'm not going to. ;)

Whatever you're doing this holiday season, I hope you are warm, healthy, and enjoying good food and drink with the people you love most in the world.

5 comments:

Kat said...

XOXO - Merry Christmas Kaza!! I will toast a glass to you tonight. It is just us on Christmas as well. Sometimes I like that better :) Hope the little one has a fantastic day!

Always Smiling said...

Hope you all got to sleep a little longer this year. Christmas morning is one of my favorite times, because I get to watch the kids enjoy their new things.

My 4yr old made her way to our bed during the night and never even gave Santa's arrival a second thought. On the other hand, my 7yr old woke us up at 6am showing off one of his gifts from Santa.

followthatdog said...

This was the first year that the boys really got the thrill of Santa coming. When we told them they had to be in bed before Santa would come, they were begging to go to sleep at 6:30 PM. They were both thrilled about the food we left for Santa and the reindeer, and it was the first thing they checked in the morning.

Dave similarly went nuts when we had to go to Target to get some gifts to replace the ones not being delivered by UPS or the USPS (asshats) in time for the big day, so my normally frugal husband kept tossing stuff into the cart. It was bizarre.

Hope you had a good one. And come on, would a photo kill ya?

Shanna said...

My parents in are in town until the beginning of next week so I'm VERY behind in my blog reading! It sounds like you had everything planned out just right for Christmas morning, and I hope you got to sleep in ... just a little bit ;)

Have a great weekend!

Suz Broughton said...

I hope you had a great Christmas!