Thursday, November 27, 2008

A Tale of Thanksgiving Morning: Showers to Take, Eggs to Make, Pie to Bake

I thought I wanted to stay home for Thanksgiving, so when we were invited to share the meal with friends I felt ambivalent. We accepted the invitation, and now we are glad we did! We can enjoy the morning with no cooking, no pressure, and then make the couple of things we're taking with us, get ourselves ready, and go! And best of all: NO CLEANUP!

It feels like a real Thanksgiving this year, even though the house doesn't smell like turkey and we're not hosting a dinner or traveling to see family. What makes it finally "real" is that the Little One is old enough now to understand the holiday and be excited about it. Last year she sort of got it, but largely ignored the parade on t.v. in the morning and whined through the dinner we made for our little family of three. We ended up rushing through the meal just to get it over with and get her to bed.

What a difference a year makes! She woke up excited about the day, and is soaking up the parade, enjoying each song and squealing with delight at every float and balloon (right now the Sesame Street gang is doing a song and she is yelling out each character sighting: "Telly, I just saw Telly!"). We had pastries and cocoa (coffee for us) earlier, so the day is a big hit already. And she's far more excited about going to our friends' house (where she'll get to play with her friend) than she would have been about staying here, so we definitely made the right decision.

From our home to yours, best wishes for a truly happy Thanksgiving. We have much to be thankful for in our lives, but I want to say that I am personally thankful for the bloggy friends I've made through this medium!

4 comments:

followthatdog said...

We did Thanksgiving with my parents. Kids are thrilled to see Grandma, Grandpa and Aunt Kathleen. I have no cooking or clean up. Perfect balance.

Glad you had a nice one.

Kat said...

Glad you had a great day! I too got the luxury of no prep or clean up. Joy of joys!!

NedaAnn said...

Happy belated Thanksgiving. I'm glad you made the right decision & it all worked out.

Sparkliesunshine said...

I think no clean up always makes the holiday a huge success.