Saturday, October 11, 2008

"Mama Training" Successful!

First of all, thank you to those of you who posted or emailed your support over this whole sleep training thing. It was quite a week, and not just because of the new bedtime routine, so I really needed the encouragement. As usual, the Little One got sick IMMEDIATELY after commencing the new regime. This has happened each time before, and always resulted in abandoning the whole thing and putting it off yet again. But this time? I. Was. Determined. She had just a bad cold, so I decided to stick to the plan and forge ahead. And? It worked! She only cried and begged on the first couple of nights (and it was awful for me, but I remained strong). On the third night she announced that she wasn't going to fuss, and in fact did not. The resistance isn't entirely over yet though. Last night she protested that this is "weird" and she took a very long time to settle down and fall asleep, but in the end she did it without me in the room (though I think I had to check on her about 7 times, the most yet). But I do think the worst is over and soon it will be a familiar routine.

We still bring her in with us when we go to bed, and probably will until we move to a house with a different floor plan. I just don't feel comfortable with her room being so far from ours, and on bad nights when she wakes often I can't take the up-and-down routine. I get more rest this way, so for now we're keeping our hybrid sleep practices. Because this works for our family right now, and that's all that matters.

Other than that, it was a nutty week all-around, and now I'm coming down with the Little One's cold and feeling more dreadful by the hour. I think I'm off for a nap now, in fact.

9 comments:

Tara@From Dawn Till Rusk said...

Well done you for sticking with it!
It's such a stressful time and you feel like you're the only one going through it and oh my god when will it end and will I still be chasing this child around the house when they're 11?

I had a very similar experience with my daughter who decided that minute she turned 3 she would be an angel. And she is! So there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

catnip said...

I'm so glad the sleeping is better! But I'm sorry you're sick - take care of yourself.

IRISHKAT said...

Yeah! Hope things keep going well. This whole sleep thing is such a pain in the .....!!!!

Twenty Four At Heart said...

It's hard to stick w/the sleep thing when they're sick. Congrats! Hope you feel better soon.

followthatdog said...

I do the same thing when my kids are sick. Into our bed, I sleep better knowing they are right there if they need me, but I have also been woken up by those gagging sounds that come immediately before vomit on multiple occasions. Not fun at all.

Susie said...

Sleep training is hard!! Great job sticking to it.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I hope you come back soon:-)

Ann said...

OH Kaza! I'm so sorry to hear about your cold. Damn, man! You need a break!
One thing that's a plus is that the sleep arrangement is starting to work, right? I just love the fact that your daughter said that this is "weird". So honest and mature. I mean, really!
Please rest as much as possible. No guilt. Just slow down and take care of yourself.
We'll be here for you!

Kaycee said...

Oh goodness, I can't even imagine sleep training my older daughter. I'm about to be in the newborn phase again and that's going to be one of the toughest parts. Hope you got some rest.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Lianne/Celia Darling said...

I was really blessed as a mom, and my kids learned to sleep in their own beds at very early ages. Of course, even now when they are young adults, they do occasionally crawl into bed with me... I love being close to them! I also love when I can return to my routine of sleeping alone.

Remember, everyone can give you parenting advice, but you have rights and privileges as a parent to "know" what is best. I'm sure you are a wonderful mom.