Wednesday, September 3, 2008

What, I Have a Blog?

I'm beginning to understand why I had such a long hiatus between starting the blog and then finally getting into it. The academic teaching year intervenes, and my blog life suffers. BUT... this time I am determined to find a way to keep up with blog reading and posting in spite of an overbooked work life. From what I'm seeing out there, everyone is overwhelmed, so I doubt if anyone minds if I'm posting a bit less regularly. I know my own reader is about to explode with unread posts (and I had already purged it completely about a month ago to start over!), so I'm sure you guys are having the same issues with keeping up.

It's funny how stunned I am again at the amount of work I have to do, and that I am surprised once more by the impossibility of the work-family-house juggling act. The academic year ended in May, and the summer ahead looked so long and full of promise. In June, I exhaled for the first time in over three years and let myself just be for awhile. (I got a LOT of blogging done then!) My summer ended prematurely in July, when my summer teaching took far more time than I had anticipated, and as soon as it was over I had to prep for fall. We're two weeks into the fall semester, and with my teaching load of four classes and multiple other commitments, I'm already overwhelmed. How did I forget that this is just how it is during the teaching year?

But at the same time, I see progress. I don't feel quite like I'm drowning in the work this fall, and the Hubster and I are sharing the household and parenting duties better than ever before so there's no resentment. I think we're growing up. It isn't perfect, but what family actually achieves perfection? We're just getting better at managing the chaos (some days better than others of course), and working hard at being gentler with one another.

The Little One is doing well in preschool, though she usually hates our departure at drop-off each morning and sometimes breaks my heart when she relates how much she missed me during the day and that she "waited, waited, waited" for me to pick her up. But our evenings and weekends are much better now, more relaxed and fun for all of us now that we're back to our normal routine. And I always look forward to hearing her tell us about her day, relating what she learned or who is her latest "best friend."

I don't know how much posting I'll be able to do in the coming weeks and months, but please don't give up on me or my blog! I love blogging and my bloggy friends are very important to me. If I don't comment or post for awhile, just know that work has me jumping right now but I WILL be back! I'm doing a lot of rushed reading of your blogs, but I will get back to more commenting (and posting here) as soon as I figure out a better balance. I owe a couple of memes, but it could take awhile for me to get to them (recall my "deer in the headlights" problem -- memes aren't always an easy post for me!). If you miss me, follow me on Twitter. It's not the same as blogging, but it's much easier to fit into a crazy schedule!

8 comments:

Ann said...

I'm trying to get into the Twitter World.
It's taking me a while, but I'm trying.
No worries on not posting as often. I'm just happy to read what you write!

Does Anybody Hear Me said...

It is easy to forget how busy it is during the school year...I don't know why that is!
I don't even have a job outside the home and I am so busy that right now I am trying to get out of a commitment I have tonight just so I can relax and go to bed.
Keep writing when you can--I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Heather said...

We're not going anywhere!! I'm twittering too. I'll see you over there.

Sparkliesunshine said...

That is one thing I love about Twitter. Sometimes you just can't post full entires so it's nice to keep in touch that way. Plus I think that is how we found each other's blogs. Hoorah for that!

catnip said...

Everything is crazy for me right now too. I just don't have time to blog as much as I want. Some days I don't even make it onto twitter at all!

IRISHKAT said...

I am in the same boat sister! I feel like I haven't read any blogs in forever and all I post on mine is pictures. Hopefully the juggling act will get a bit easier in the coming weeks. Welcome back to school right?

Southern Girl in NH said...

I started my blog back in April, wrote a few entries, and then completely let it go, until this past week.

I found that there is some much rattling in this head of mine, and in order to "de-clutter" I am writing down my thoughts more often.

Good luck with keeping up your blog!

Blarney said...

Singing to the choir sister, singing to the choir!
I will make my best attempt to get through a long list of things today.
Have a great rest of the week!