Sunday, August 3, 2008

An Unusually Productive Sunday

I realize I haven't posted much lately. I want to blame it on my summer teaching gig (which, I am delighted to say, will be over after I grade the finals next weekend), but I'm actually just a bit blocked lately. It seems many others are going through the same thing, and that the consensus is to blog through it, so I'm going to do exactly that.

I've had an oddly productive Sunday here. I usually spend the day relaxing before the week, but today I had a burst of energy and not only picked up the mess around the house but also planned out all of the back-to-school organizing we need to do in the next two weeks. It was a relief to finally capture all of those thoughts that have been buzzing around in my head and not only write them on lists but then type those lists neatly and tack them up on the fridge so the hubster and I can work on a game plan together.

I used to be this organized all of the time. I'm not good with cleaning, but I've always been great at organizing, and have always enjoyed it. And while I can (and will) ignore dust and soap scum for an embarrassingly long time, I hate the chaos of messy stacks of papers and books everywhere and feel mentally agitated every time I walk by yet another pile waiting for my attention. I used to have time to stay on top of organizing, and lived by my lists. But after becoming a mother, that all went out the window. Now, if I even have time to make a list, I can't even find it. Today I must have come across four different lists I had made sometime in the last six months, each one just adding to one of several piles of paper.

I can't blame it all on motherhood though. There is actually some truth to the image of the absentminded professor with an office full of papers and books in a state of disarray. By the time I acquired my Ph.D. I was already far less organized than I had been before, and juggling a heavy teaching load last year only added to the problem. I'm not sure what it's about, but I do know that life is far more complicated than ever before and I have a hard time staying on top of everything these days.

I am determined, however, to at least start this academic year with a tidy home, an organized office, and a plan in place for a more balanced life for each of us in this little family. Wish me luck. I'm going to need it!

9 comments:

catnip said...

I've been blogging through it too, but my posts seem so blah to me lately. I have so much work hanging over my head that I can't concentrate on the internetz. Gotta do the stuff that pays the bills before anything else!

Mekhismom said...

Good luck getting your "places" organized. I truly need to follow in your footsteps because my office is in disarray and I need to tidy my home too.

Does Anybody Hear Me said...

I am a real big organizer. I HAVE to have things organized and tidy and in their place. Then I got married and had two kids....and all that went out the window!! Now I need a 'clapper' to find anything....eyeglasses, keys, my lists....LOL

Scribbit said...

Gosh I feel as if I could have wrote this--I've been so scatterbrained this summer!

Supermom said...

I have been dealing with a block too. Its frustrating that all my thoughts are mixed up.

School starts here next week and things need to be bought!

Why don't you make me a few lists of things I should do please!

Michelle :)

christie said...

Glad you had a productive day. It's always nice!
Good luck on the new academic year!

followthatdog said...

I love that feeling. I'm glad you had a good Sunday.
BTW, I've named you as a Kick Ass Blogger. And you are. You can check it out over there for what you need to do and to get the blog bling that accompanies the honor.

Jen said...

Good luck with that plan. It sounds great, I hope that you can keep it.
Thanks for your visit yesterday.

IRISHKAT said...

Hey you just stole my blog post. I think there are rules about that or something! ha ha i am hoping going back to the structure of the school year will boost my brain power. Yeah, I know, it's a pipe dream!