Friday, August 22, 2008

Normal Life Restored

Clearly the week kicked my ass, hence no posting (and even worse, hardly any blog reading or Twitter tweeting). The Little One started school Monday morning, and it went smashingly well. I suppose it should have, given that she's been in a program since she was a toddler, and after a long boring summer at home she was hungry for playmates (her one friend down the street moved away, and most people we know traveled a lot so we didn't have many playdates or other social gatherings). She sat right down to playing and hardly even looked up as we each bent down to say goodbye.

We both admitted it felt a little weird to drive away without her, after the last month of her being with us constantly. But it was a great relief to realize that I don't have to feel as guilty now that she's of proper preschool age. Of course not all guilt is gone, as she's in after-care too. I hear that the mama guilt never really goes away no matter what you do. And once I arrived at my office, and soaked up the hours stretched before me of nothing to do but finally, FINALLY get some work done, I felt more than fine.

The week was crazybusy, but I didn't mind a bit, I was so happy to be back to our normal routine. The Little One adjusted well to her new class and school, loves her new teacher, and declares a new "best friend" every day. Our late days were a little harder on us, when she stays until 5 instead of the usual 3, but I know we'll soon get used to it and we really need a few days of longer working hours to get everything done. But she actually loved the "extra playtime" after naptime and even protested leaving at all when we picked her up on the first late day, much to our surprise.

We are now off to a celebratory end-of-the-week dinner out, where I intend to consume a large adult beverage or two and truly unwind for the first time in five days. I'm hoping to catch up on some blog reading over the weekend, so if I haven't visited yours in awhile please know I'll be coming by soon!

What about you? How did everyone's back-to-school week go?

8 comments:

Does Anybody Hear Me said...

My kids started back to school on Monday. By Thursday they had canceled classes due to Tropical Storm Fay. We are still getting pounded with rain.

And that mother's guilt is going to be there no matter what you do. I am a stay at home mom and still feel guilty. My kids complain they don't get to buy everything they want or have the expensive clothes because we only have one paycheck. They are SUPPOSED to like me being home!!

catnip said...

I haven't been around much either so I get it.

We don't start school until this coming week. Open house on Weds, and first day of Kindergarten (!) on Thurs. I'll tell ya, I can't freaking wait.

IRISHKAT said...

Back to I have been absent as well. I am going through computer withdrawals. Not to mention every time the alarm clock goes off at that ungodly hour I want to smash it to bits!! Hopefully next week is better!

Tiffany said...

You deserve that drink sister!!! The mommy guilt is totally unnecessary, and if wasn't about working, it would be about something else!

I am so glad she is enjoying school... the transition period will be over before you know it!

IRISHKAT said...

I tagged you yesterday over at my place :) Hope school is going well!

Ann said...

Isn't that something... we put this guilt on ourselves, yet, when we go to "rescue" our child, have them back with us so they will feel relieved and comforted, they just look at us and say "I don't wanna go home!".
I've had the guilt too many times. You would think I would have learned my lesson by now!
Our school year doesn't begin until Wednesday the 3rd.
(I'll be back to share a drink with you then!)

Ann said...

And I'm finally getting my blog reorganized. I can't believe you weren't on my blog roll?!!! (That's been rectified!)
Yeah for MOMocrats.com!
And do I see that you also watch "My Life On The D List", "Tori & Dean", & "Flipping Out"? You're my T.V. sista'!

followthatdog said...

Sounds like a lot of work, but a lot of good restorative mommy time. Don't have mommy guilt, remember you job is to get her ready for the world. And to keep your sanity.