Saturday, August 16, 2008

Back-to-School A-Go-Go

Yo peeps! I'm sorry I've been such a bad blogger lately, hardly posting at all. Work was to blame, but now my summer class is OVAH! Actually it was over last weekend, but we spent the week running back-to-school errands. I managed to sneak in some blog reading and twittering here and there, but that was about it.

I don't think I can convey to you the degree of my excitement, or rather GLEE about the Little One going back to school on Monday. This family just functions better with the normal routine where school and work schedules set the rhythm of the week. Neither the hubster nor I are well-suited to the work-at-home thing, and fortunately the Little One has loved school since starting at 18 months in toddler care. This will be the first year in true preschool with a proper curriculum, and we can't wait to watch her grow and blossom as she learns and makes new friends.

I'm a bit of a sap when it comes to back-to-school. I was one of those odd children who LOVED going back to school. I actually enjoyed selecting school supplies, and my favorite day of the year was not the last day of school but the first. I almost never slept the night before, too wound up with excitement, counting the minutes until I could go see my new room, explore my new desk, meet my new teacher. Yeah, looking back, I guess I was quite a little nerdlet about it all.

So I don't have to tell you then how much FUN I had this week taking the Little One out to choose new school things. I was even disappointed to find out that the supply fee covers everything so we had no supply shopping to do, not even for a box of crayons or a pair of safety scissors. (Not that we couldn't buy them for our home stash, but it's not quite the same thing if it's not headed for the backpack, you know.)

This weekend it's all about trying to get this mess of a home in order for the new year. I realize I'm destined to fail, but a mama's gotta have dreams. We did buy a dry-erase board for the fridge so I can stop making (and losing) multiple lists on paper, so we might start slightly more organized. I've mostly scaled the laundry mountain, so it's almost all clean. But will it all get put away before Monday? The kiddo is helping to get all of her toys at least in the various toy receptacles, though my plan to do a major toy purge and organize the remainder is probably never going to come to fruition. As for the mess of papers, files, articles, and books currently jammed into the office closet? I'm guessing I'll be putting off that organizational nightmare for yet another semester. It's almost an end-of-break tradition now, staring into that closet, shaking my head, and closing the door on it for another few months. It's time to settle back into the barely-controlled chaos that is "normal life" at Casa de Kaza. And I can't wait.

8 comments:

Does Anybody Hear Me said...

My kids start tomorrow morning as well and couldn't be happier! Thing 2--who is starting 5th grade--said she absolutely couldn't wait to begin classes. I hope she is still as excited once the homework begins.

Thing 1 is excited he was able to get his electives and has friends in all of his classes.

I am just thankful we are starting a morning routine again!!

Sydney said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog on my SITS day! Hope you'll visit again soon!

NedaAnn said...

Oh, the joy of buying a new backpack and folders with coordinating notebooks - I'm getting all tingly just thinking about it. However, I don't get the joy for another year. Trinity's preschool supplies everything as well.
I loved going back to school, too. By far my favorite time of year, so I understand.

Sparkliesunshine said...

Fun! I always looked forward to going back to school for some reason. I don't know why because I wasn't a very good student, but I love the feeling of a new notebook or new pens. It's exciting.

ali said...

I'm so glad that my son's school doesn't have a supply fee, I know there are a couple around here that do. I think that getting all the supplies on your own helps get your child ready and excited for school. My son wasn't looking forward to it but as soon as he got all his stuff together and packed, he was excited!

Tiffany said...

We started back on Monday... so nice to settle into the school routine. I too LOVED shopping for school supplies and choosing my first day of school outfit!

Hot Tub Lizzy said...

I love shopping for school supplies. My girls didn't have the biggest lists this year and I was kinda bummed...

GOod luck with the oranizational stuff... I'm right there with you.

Tara@From Dawn Till Rusk said...

My son doesn't start back to school until September 4 and we're all climbing the walls here! It doesn't help that the weather has been rubbish. But he too has an all encompasing love of school - just like his mum did!
Thank you so much for your visit, I really did appreciate it and it was really nice to meet you. And hows it going on the baby making . . .