Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Snippet of A Typical Conversation These Days

Me: It’s Mama and Daddy’s job to teach you things, so that you can grow up to be a good person.

The Little One (TLO): I am NOT a person!!!

(Having been through this before recently, I tried to explain…)

Me: Honey, “person” is just another word for “human being.”

TLO: I. AM. NOT. A. HUMAN!!!! I don’t WANT to be a HUMAN!!!

Me: Uh, well, uh, okay….

I realize this is where I should have been the easygoing, whimsical mother, laughing and asking, “So what do you want to be?” But I wasn’t. I was speechless. How do you explain to the almost-three-and-a-half-year-old that she is, in fact a human being, and a person, and that these terms are nothing to be afraid of? OR ARE THEY? Out of the mouths of babes, you know…

As a follow up to my rant on dealing with the threes, if you haven't seen this by Mrs. Chicken over at Chicken and Cheese, it's a must-read, especially if you have a 3-year-old in your house right now.

1 comment:

Mrs. Chicken said...

Ha! The Poo told me yesterday that I looked like a human. Must be a "three" thing.

Thanks for the linky love!