Friday, May 23, 2008

We Need a "Wife" (or a Manny)

So the Hubs looks around the kitchen last night and says to me, "The trouble is, neither one of us is a wife."  Now, you might think that I, an ardent feminist, would have objected to this comment, but I didn't.  Because I have said many times that we need a wife to run this household so we don't have to life in such domestic chaos, or a manny.  What we really mean is that we need a family manager to do all of the things that tend to fall on the "wife" social role.  Because I too would like to come home to a sparkling clean & neat house, a home cooked meal, and a fed and bathed child.   Oh, and of course perfect martini (vodka, shaken, with multiple olives), comfy slippers, and time to relax in the recliner before eating that scrumptious meal.  Who wouldn't want this?  Those 1950s middle class husbands had it good, man.  

Today we are cleaning for my parents' arrival tomorrow.  And by cleaning I mean creating the illusion of order and achieving the base level of home hygiene.  It's not that I don't prefer a very clean and orderly home.  I just cannot be bothered to do the work involved to get it.  

4 comments:

catnip said...

I hate cleaning. Hate it. I need a wife too.

Belinda said...

"I could use a wife, too," was something I grew up hearing my own mother say regularly. Only thing is, she's one of those superwomen. She always was an amazing homemaker, the sole "homemake" inside the home, despite working 40-60 hours a week outside the home.

Needless to say, I do NOT measure up.

bipolarlawyercook said...

I totally am in favor of wives. I used to have a wonderful secretary who insisted on doing wifely things like doctor's appointments, etc. It was HEAVEN.

NedaAnn said...

You are a woman after my own heart. Our idea of cleaning (usually the day before company arrives) is controlling the clutter/mess. Yep, I just don't have the energy to do a major cleaning.