Thursday, May 22, 2008

I Have a Crush on Blogging!

So this is now day four of spending the majority of my waking hours reading blogs, writing my own posts, and tweaking my blog.  I am acting much like I used to in the first stages of dating someone (except those experiences involved considerably more showering and primping).  I don't want to eat or sleep, I just want to blog and read other people's blogs!!!  This actually could be good for my desire to drop 10 pounds.  Not so good for the cleanliness level of house, child, or self though.

I had a hint last year that it could be this addictive, but then I had a dissertation to finish and a husband watching over me (he couldn't support us much longer on his income, and he would have felt horridly guilty if I never finished, given that I took over a year of leave to care for our baby so that he could finish first!), so I had to sneak it here and there, and had no time to start my own until the very end.  But I had NO IDEA it would be this much fun.  

One of the blogs I've been reading obsessively this week is Belinda's hilarious and marvelously detailed account of her life over at Ninja Poodles.  She was sweet enough to come visit me today and generous enough to leave comments. (Bless your heart, Belinda!  There: did I do it right?)  I geeked out when I saw my email alerts that she had commented, and I am truly flattered.  So if you haven't discovered her yet (I realize there aren't many readers here yet, but let me be optimistic and speak to those who may find there way here later and read through the archives), you simply must go visit.  As she would say, go now and "clicky clicky" over there on my list of faves on the right.  You won't regret it.  

And anyone who may have advice to this new blogger, please email me at kazasplaceATgmailDOTcom. (For one thing, how do I add the "email me" link?  I'm slow on the uptake here and I can't seem to find it in my settings menu.)

10 comments:

catnip said...

I'm a wordpress girl - so I don't know the answer to your question, however as a new blogger you should check out this site: http://www.bloggingbasics101.com/
There's tons of great info there for us newbies :) and they're great at answering questions.

followthatdog said...

Advice, get on twitter. I've been introduced to so many great bloggers there.
Nice blog!

Belinda said...

Come Twitter with us, and your assimilation will be complete. Bwahahahaahaaa.

In new Blogger, everything's there, you just have to poke around for it. I'm lame about the email link, too. I need to manually add it.

Thanks for the kind words, and I'm glad you spoke up. I still vividly recall the day that the magical JenB of www.jenandtonic.ca graced me with comment-love. Changed my life, & you can tell her I said so!

BipolarLawyerCook said...

Belinda is great, and very generous to other bloggers. Glad you have hooked in to her network.

I only have one piece of advice for good blogging-- to thine own self be true. Truth, and sharing truth, is what makes for good reading and good writing. Bon voyage!

Angella said...

Belinda is awesome!

Buzz sent us your link via Twitter. I second Belinda - JOIN US!

Blogging is a wonderful, wonderful place. Welcome!

Kaza said...

Good lord I feel like a schoolgirl, I believe I'm actually blushing at being Twittered about (thanks Belinda!!!). Thanks so much for visiting and commenting, and I am really looking forward to this adventure with everyone out there. Now I just have to figure out the Twitter thing so that I can become part of the blogging Borg... you can just call me nine million of nine million (lame Star Trek reference meant to joke that I am the absolute last person to join in this fantastic party).

Daisy said...

The email link is there, somewhere. Sorry I can't locate it for you. Search the Blogger Help and you'll find it. Yes, blogging is addicting! In fact, I had this exact template when I started two years ago, so you have good taste! :) Twitter is addicting, too. I enjoy it immensely! Check me out at Compost Happens.

NedaAnn said...

I am a blogging newbie myself. I've found it to be quite addicting & Twitter is like caffeine. I cannot go a day without it. Love your blog. I'll be adding it to my list.

Speck said...

Yes, blogging can be very addictive, but oh how very sweet the addiction! When you're stuck in the South sometimes blogging is the only way to find sane people.

My blogging advice: Continue to write as if no one is reading. I fell into the trap of writing for my audience and blogging became a burden instead of a joy. Always write for yourself, not others. dismounts soapbox

Great blog! Welcome to the South! Save all bacon grease. You will be instructed on what to do with it later.

Speck said...

To add an email link to your profile page:
Log into Blogger and go to your blog.
In the right sidebar in the profile block:
"View Complete Profile"
On that page there should be a blue "Edit Profile" button.
If the button isn't there, use this method:

Log into Blogger and go to your blog
Upper right "Customize"
Upper right "Dashboard"
On right "Edit Profile"
Here you can add your email and a profile image.

If you want an email link to appear in your sidebar, that's a whole 'nuther process and too long to 'splain in the comments box.

If you stick with one of the stock Blogger templates, I can help you with other Shiny Things for your header, sidebar and footer. Custom templates not so much. grin