Monday, July 16, 2007

My Blog Starts... Now!

Welcome to Kaza's Place. I'm new to the blogosphere, and after a few months of enjoying so much of what I've been reading, I decided to join the party. I feel like I should make some sort of grand introduction, but that seems counter to the spirit of blogging, so I'll instead jump right in.

The title of this post is a riff on the phrase from the series "Top Chef," in which, at the beginning of each challenge, the statuesque Padma Lakshmi dramatically starts the clock by intoning, "Your time... starts now!" Every time she does this, I want to yell "cut!" and ask her to do another take, moving the pause to emphasize the word "now" (rendering it even more dramatic by saying "Your time starts........ NOW!" It just seems better that way.

Is this an example of the sort of inane observations you can expect from this blog? You bet your sweet bippy. But I'll also be sharing written snapshots of my life as a mother, the role that seems to have completely colonized my former life, leaving it an unrecognizable pile of rubble but rebuilding it in a manner both delightful and maddening! Yes, this will often be another "mommy blog," so if you roll your eyes at this term or this sort of subject matter, you'll want to move right along now.

If this hasn't turned you off, and you enjoy (or don't mind) reading mommy blogs, than let me give one further warning: if you are a member of the parenting police who cheered the recent media lambasting of the "martini moms," then you too can move right along. No parental correctness allowed in Kaza's Place! (Martinis, on the other hand, are very welcome, and in fact, encouraged.)

I'm also a feminist, and proud of it, so expect plenty of that sort of thing as well.

What else? I love food and wine, so I'll talk often about these subjects, particularly in regards to my ongoing search for ways to maintain the foodie lifestyle while parenting small children. Our life as foodies took a serious hit when we became parents, and we've been trying to get our epicurean groove back ever since.

Lastly, I love pop culture and watch far too much t.v., so I'll be commenting on favorite shows here and there. At the moment my summer favorites include the following (in no particular order): The Next Food Network Star, My Life on the D List, Big Love, On the Lot, Flight of the Conchords, Confessions of a Matchmaker, and repeats of Brothers & Sisters. I also have great hopes for "Scott Baio is 45 and Single" so I hope it's as juicy as it promises to be. I can just about remember the first time I laid eyes on the fine specimen of teenage boyhood that was "Chachi"... oh, yes, it was a very happy day for my little 10-year-old self. But I digress.

As for the people you'll be reading about at Kaza's Place, the two main ones will be my little one, "Gigi" (a nickname she had only while in the womb for reasons too arcane to trouble you with here) and my husband. I'm still figuring out his pseudonym though. I asked him to choose one, and he couldn't think of anything except the accurate yet too ridiculous, "Smarty Pants." I'm not kidding. He actually suggested that this be his pseudonym. But since he's not a horse or a sassy preschooler, I'm going to pass on that one.

Perhaps instead I should go with He Who Talks All the Time, because that's what he does. I'm married to a talker. You know those studies claiming to prove that women talk more than men talk? They're either completely wrong, or I'm married to one of the outliers in the data. In any case, I'll let you know when I figure out the right pseudonym, so you'll know who I'm talking about when I write about... Chatty Charlie? Word Man? White Noise Machine? I'm just not sure yet.

Okay, this first post has become obnoxiously long, and I've done what I thought I shouldn't do, which is to make a big long introduction. For those of you who are still with me... more soon. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: